15.1.06

Kurt Vonnegut's memoirs extract.

He says a couple of funny things, like:
I think that novels that leave out technology misrepresent life as badly as Victorians misrepresented life by leaving out sex.

and

If you want to really hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be gay, the least you can do is go into the arts. I'm not kidding. The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable.

and gives lessons on creative writing:

First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

and

I want to share with you something I've learned. Let a vertical line represent the G-I axis: good fortune - ill fortune. Death and terrible poverty, sickness down here - great prosperity, wonderful health up there. Your average state of affairs here in the middle.

Let a horizontal line - extending from middle of G-I axis - be the B-E axis. B for beginning, E for entropy. Okay. Not every story has that very simple, very pretty shape that even a computer can understand.



and briefly mentiones Cat's Cradle, which I am happy to have read because it includes the most entertaining fictional religion of bokononism.

The calypsos are so good.

Also, Kurt knows what's nice

2 Comments:

Blogger mink said...

shit; I can't write without semicolons

15/1/06 10:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Generally I don't have time for either Vonnegut's books or the printed press, but this article was great. Especially the kafka graph and hamlet riff. I was about to scan in the graph when i saw you'd beaten me to it.

No fair.

15/1/06 11:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home