12.9.06

School.

school.

It's been a week and I haven't used my hands to make a single thing: I've been told the French like to analyse.

Have never, ever filled out so many questionnaires. Why do my teachers want to know my favourite dessert or what I think God will say to me when I meet him after I die?

I had to fill out 3 pages on typographie the other day. Suffice to say, the words leading and kerning do not exist in French.
Today I had my first philosophy class. We had yet another questionnaire to determine our knowledge.
I told her I'd read a little in my spare time, she called me a champion for mentioning Deleuze. Not sure if she was joking.

So here it is. I won't email it round in circles, but it made me laugh:

1) List in chronological order: Husserl, Kant, Plato, Nietzsche, Hegel, Merlau-Ponty, Epicure, Wittgenstein, Lucrece, Descartes.

2) What is a "symbol"?

3) Who said: "The beautiful is that which pleases universally without a concept." And what does it mean?

4) What is "sublimation"?

5) List the major works of: Balzac, Breton, Descartes, Tolstoy, Heidigger.

6) Who are: Jerome Basch, Jean Calvin, Boleo, Nicolas Malebranche?

7) Define the terms: idealism, materialism, empricism, impressionism.

8) Who said: "Common sense is judgement without reflection?"

9) What is a philosopher?

10) What is the allegory of the cavern?

11) What is the cogito?

12) What does "a priori" mean?

13) What is immanence and transcendence?

14) What is jansenism?

15) Who is Primo Levi?

16) What is the ineffable?

17) What is phenomology?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex Bok Bok said...

wow youre not kidding when you say 'school'!!

i know the answer to maybe 3 of those at a push? some of them seem meaningless without context, like the alegory question.

Fuck.

I kind of crave that kind of immersive education but at the same time it sounds really really frustrating.

You sound bemused. Are you enjoying it?

15/9/06 22:10  
Blogger dodeckahedron said...

it's exhausting: we have dictations on the french tax system and 10 page hand outs on intellectual property law. the students take notes, and sometimes it seems like the wrong approach, but i'm enjoying it.

surprisingly enough the actual projects are context-driven. research > problem > solution. nice.

18/9/06 19:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home